Event InformationPrice Range: FREE
Event Organizer Contact Info
Claire Gilliam’s work is on display in Warwick’s Amity Gallery; open weekends in November (2019) from 1pm to 4pm and by appointment. For more information, contact Roslyn: 845-258-4396
I have always been intrigued by the human body and have explored its many aspects throughout my art practice. I began the series Life Lines two or three years ago, after coming into the possession of recent MRI scans of my brain. The scans, which I spent hours pouring over, both fascinated and horrified me. Even though I’d always known the seriousness of it, I was suddenly confronted with visual evidence of the long-ago but significant brain injury I’d sustained as a baby. A large dark mass on the left hemisphere still declaring loudly, after 40 years, my narrow escape. Around the same time, I also experienced a difficult and continuous period of profound familial loss. Both these episodes left me thinking about the body in a very different way than I had before: I became interested in the biology and physiology of our bodies and the seemingly cruel, capricious way a body can behave, vacillating between strength and fragility. I began to make drawings from the MRIs, at first visually recording the brain itself, to understand how its structure and pathways form to activate the circumstances of the individual being we become. As the series has developed, the imagery has dissolved into abstraction, capturing something more existential. Repetitive lines revealing rhythms and patterns, like conversations, to me. Ultimately, Life Lines has evolved into a visual story about connections, threading together a human body with its physical, metaphysical and interpersonal environment.
Find more events happening at Amity Gallery.
- Life Lines - The Prints of Claire Gilliam at Amity Gallery - 11/17/2019 - 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Life Lines - The Prints of Claire Gilliam at Amity Gallery - 11/23/2019 - 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- PechaKucha Night #12 at Amity Gallery (November 2019) - 11/23/2019 - 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Life Lines - The Prints of Claire Gilliam at Amity Gallery - 11/24/2019 - 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Life Lines - The Prints of Claire Gilliam at Amity Gallery - 11/30/2019 - 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm