Our mission here at Hudson Valley GO is to share all that the Hudson Valley has to offer. As part of that objective, we have the responsibility to make sure we’re also spreading awareness and knowledge about protecting and preserving nature for future generations, for ourselves, and for the health of the Earth!
Are you familiar with the Leave No Trace Seven Principles?
Leave No Trace is a global initiative to promote outdoor ethics. The tenets of this movement are listed below.
- Plan Ahead and Prepare
- Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
- Dispose of Waste Properly
- Leave What You Find
- Minimize Campfire Impacts
- Respect Wildlife
- Be Considerate of Other Visitors
Examples for how to put the Leave No Trace Seven Principles into practice
Here are some tips for making sure you’re enjoying nature in a responsible way:
- Prepare before each outdoor excursion! The NYSDEC, NYS Parks, and NPS websites are great resources for exploring public lands.
- Don’t just head to the trails willy-nilly— grab a trail guide or otherwise familiarize yourself with the area. Hike the Hudson Valley is a favorite resource of ours.
- Camp only in designated areas, and before you explore backcountry areas, make sure you’re familiar with the core backpacking skills needed.
- Many of the areas worth exploring are carry-in, carry-out facility. Preemptively minimize concerns with waste with reusable water and food containers, and carry along bags to put your garbage into so that you can get rid of it properly afterwards. These compostable garbage bags are a great option!
- Build fires only in designated areas, and educate yourself on proper campfire building and safety techniques.
- Leave the animals alone! Do not feed any animals you encounter in the wild.
- Live the golden rule – treat other visitors with the same courtesy and respect that you want to be treated with!
- Teach the next generation to #LeaveNoTrace
If you want to learn more about the Leave No Trace Seven Principles, visit LNT.org for resources and more information about how you can support and get involved in this initiative.